f John Norman's Chronicles of Gor - Re: Enforcing Gorean Ritual [Posting Guidelines and Moderator's Notes]

Welcome Guest Register or Log In
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Main Menu
Related FAQs
How do I...
Report site bugs, errors, etc.?

Did you know?
We are working on making this site multi-lingual.

Search

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Enforcing Gorean Ritual
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

See User information
Tal Simon,

Considering the heterogeneity of this group, I feel that your responses are exactly right. As a real "lifestyler" myself, I see no need to impose such restrictions on any of the forums, even a real life forum if such were created. The persons who sent those complaints to you are forgetting where they are, and they are looking at a much more diverse group, many of whom are not even claiming to live the philosophy, through a rather myopic lens. They need to broaden their vision. Even in the RTGL group that I help to run, which is a dedicated real life group, such restrictions are not enforced in full, because our group is open to non-Goreans also.

I just wanted to make clear that not all the "professed lifestylers" here support such rules.

I wish you well,
Braveheart

Posted on: 2007/5/17 12:34
Cheers!
Braveheart

----------------------------------------------------
"Damn it, Morpheus, not everyone believes what you believe!"

"My beliefs do not require them to."
 Top  Twitter  Facebook  Google Plus  Linkedin  Del.icio.us  Digg  Reddit  Mr. Wong  Report

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
I never joined this forum expecting it to be a lifestyle one, I joined it because it was a mix of everyone from those who enjoyed the books, the role-players and the lifestylers as well as those who just enjoy discussing the philosophy.

It is that complete mix that interests me, I enjoy the role-play based byplay even though that has now stopped in this forum and the examples from the books that are totally opposite to the way you would behave in reality and how or if the two can be resolved.

I am well aware from my own time in role-play that the lines can so easily be blurred causing problems however when things are stated that by the books such and such could happen its as valid as try that here and the police will cart you off.

This is a place where them and us could coexist easily because I see no need for conflict as this place has no need to get defensive about certain aspects, here there should be no them and us as we are all simply enjoyers of the books and the rest is not truly relevant in this place.

Gorean real time slaves will be policed anyway by those who know what they are, and I am sure that the role-play ones will get a verbal slap if their on-line owners feel it is needed so here in this place there is no need for anyone to take notice of a persons status there are others who can do that quite legitimately without causing offence to the others in the group.

There will always be a certain amount of conflict, however conflict is necessary for a good discussion else you simply end up with…. I believe this .. so do I, and I, and I etc.

If I want just role-play I can find many places to discuss it, if I want just lifestyle again many places to discuss that, let this place be an oasis of free thought in a world ringed with high walls prison gates and barbed wire keeping out the thoughts those inside do not agree with.

Cheryl

Posted on: 2007/5/17 2:24
 Top  Twitter  Facebook  Google Plus  Linkedin  Del.icio.us  Digg  Reddit  Mr. Wong  Report

Staff
Staff

See User information
Greetings, AnonMoos.

Perhaps, you're underestimating the power of words. I've had girls crying and screaming for help through email after being 'punished' for whatever reason on Gorean forums and chatboxes. I, too, was and am utterly amazed by the sheer impact these things can have, and the amount of control one can exercise upon complete strangers on the other side of the globe, through a mere glass wire. If we can find a way to transport compassion that easily, there might still be some hope for humanity.

I wish you well,
Simon

Posted on: 2007/5/16 21:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
It strikes me as a little ironic that by means of such rules, the professed life-stylers would in fact seem to be introducing an element of role-play into the forum (since you can't "punish" in any real sense people whom you've never met, don't know their real names etc., over a computer link).

Posted on: 2007/5/16 21:00

Enforcing Gorean Ritual
Staff
Staff

See User information
Greetings, Folks.

Every once in a while the issue is raised of whether the moderator(s) of a Gorean themed forum should actively enforce Gorean behaviour and ritual. Usually, this subject is introduced by questions like "should slaves be allowed to change status and declare themselves free?", "should slaves be allowed to interfere in discussions among the free?", or "should slaves be punished publicly for disrespectful behaviour toward the free?". For some, these matters are utterly irrelevant, yet, for others they gnaw at the core of their identity; they cannot be dismissed or neglected, and so they return, over and over again, in the in-boxes of moderators, to exhort either a change in forum rules, or a well written explanation of the decision to remain impartial. The latter is my current objective.

Mostly, the requests to coerce Gorean ritual are founded upon one or more of the following four arguments:
<ul>
<li>"I am a Gorean life-styler, and on a Gorean forum I expect Gorean rules to apply".
<li>"If you choose to base your life, actions and attitudes upon Gorean philosophy, others, specially those who share that life-style, have the right to expect and if necessary, enforce the compliancy to the prescribed etiquette of a Gorean relationship."
<li>"It's in the books, and to honour John Norman, a Gorean website should promote Gorean ideals and adhere to Gorean ritual."
<li>"Slaves have a different set of standards and ideals than the free. They should be separated and only allowed to talk amongst themselves."
</ul>
I will address these four arguments separately.
<h4>The Fundamentalist Argument</h4>Quote:
I am a Gorean life-styler, and on a Gorean forum I expect Gorean rules to apply.

Whatever belief system one chooses to follow, be it religious or philosophical, that choice itself is strictly a personal one, and one should be very cautious and prudent when propagating ones own belief system amongst others. Preaching, expounding and convincing is one thing, but commanding, enforcing and penalizing are totally different terms. The right to choose ones own, private worldview, ethics and morality automatically implies the equal right of others to choose differently. The labels and categories one attaches to such psychological systems are merely superficial, stereotypes, abstractions of a reality that goes far beyond the reaches of language and understanding. In finding ones own, personal place within that intricate, unintelligible, violent, relentless and yet so very beautiful and satisfying world outside, one should first and foremost strive to achieve insight, to acceptance and understanding, righteousness and integrity, honour, respect and above all, love, faith and hope. The urge to actively enforce certain behaviours and rituals upon others, without addressing the internal drives and dispositions from which these behaviours should naturally arise, is both counter-productive in a educational sense, and reprehensible in a instinctually humane, well-balanced adult, traditionally ethical sense. Freedom, after all, is the foundation of the human state.
<h4>The Peer Pressure Argument</h4>Quote:
If you choose to base your life, actions and attitudes upon Gorean philosophy, others, specially those who share that life-style, have the right to expect and if necessary, enforce the compliancy to the prescribed etiquette of a Gorean relationship.

This peer pressure, itself, perhaps, forthcoming from a genuine and deep-felt desire to purify and protect a shared belief system, might well be justifiable within the constraints of small, real life groups or societies of followers of John Norman's writings. The Internet, however, and hence, this website, is a world-wide phenomenon. As with all philosophies, different people tend to interpret and react to it in different ways; some strive to follow it by the letter, other by intent; some incorporate it in their day to day activities, others are content with contemplation and analysis; some feel they should adopt all its rigid rules and regulations; other pick and choose, you might say, only those aspects that seem important to them. With such a degree of variation and multiplicity of interpretation and acceptance of the Gorean philosophy, even within the boundaries of those that clearly state to 'be' Gorean, it must be obvious, I hope, that on the even broader scale, a world-wide scale, that of a fan-site, a website not only for experienced life-stylers, or role-players, but also, and equally importantly so, for just plain fans of science fiction and fantasy, for novices and strangers alike, for those who are merely interested, or perhaps, simply intrigued; the diversity of this website's public obliterates the peer pressure argument. Diversity, after all, is a cornerstone of the Gorean world-view.
<h4>The Honourable Argument</h4>Quote:
It's in the books, and to honour John Norman, a Gorean website should promote Gorean ideals and adhere to Gorean ritual.

To many, even to the author himself, the Chronicles of Gor are not meant as a how-to-live-ones-life type of manual or guide-book; on the contrary, the series, though surely targeted upon recognition and the rational acceptance of previously unknown, perhaps even suppressed, emotional and instinctual needs and motives; is surely to be seen as a conceptual dislocation, an imaginary society and culture that does not in fact exist, but is predicated on one's own, known society; a society that develops and advances out of one's own in some awkward way, perhaps, you might say, intentionally exaggerated, perpendicular kind of way; to make the reader unsure, confused about one's own opinions and prejudices, and their application in different, yet unforeseen, environments and situations; tousled and tangled about the perceived yet unexpected resemblance between what seemed to be real and what seemed to be mere fantasy, and finally, in a convulsive shock of dysrecognition, the acceptance of knowledge, the enlightenment, the relief and satisfaction of an enhanced form of vision, a new way of seeing; a new set of colours; each more beautiful then one could ever dream of. To learn from these books, after all, is to truly honour its author.
<h4>The Discriminating Argument</h4>Quote:
Slaves have a different set of standards and ideals than the free. They should be separated and only allowed to talk amongst themselves.

Sometime in our human history, Europeans were seen as different, and regardless of their origin or skills, they were separated and silenced, slandered and sacrificed, treated like mere animals, and, at a whim, by the thousands, simply killed. Sometime in our human history, white, yellow, brown, red, and black skincolor was seen as different, and regardless of their origin or skills, they were separated and silenced, slandered and sacrificed, treated like mere animals, and, at a whim, by the thousands, simply killed. Sometime in our human history, the female gender was seen as different, and regardless of their origin or skills, they were separated and silenced, slandered and sacrificed, treated like mere animals, and, at a whim, by the thousands, simply killed. Let's not make those mistakes ever again. Let's be proud upon our differences and cherish our equality. After all, we're still human, right?

To be sure, the answer is no - we will not enforce Gorean behaviour and ritual.

Take care,
Simon (The Elder)

Posted on: 2007/5/16 19:47

[Advanced Search]

DISCLAIMER
Please be advised that John Norman is not responsible and specifically disclaims any responsibility for any of the content of this website, except for any content that he has specifically written himself. Please also be advised that John Norman has no ownership interest in this website.
Home :: About Us :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Notice :: Contact Us
© 2006-2010 John Norman's Chronicles of Gor
John Norman's Chronicles of Gor is owned and run on a not-for-profit basis by Gor fans, for Gor fans, and is independent of John Norman, his agent, and his publishers.

All Gor novels are copyright © by John Norman. All rights are reserved and, subject to the doctrines of fair use and fair dealing, no text from any of the Gor novels may be used without the express written consent of the author or his authorized representatives. Infringements of this copyright will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. For information and permission contact copyright@gorchronicles.com.
You can report infringements of the copyright of the Gor novels to us at copyright@gorchronicles.com.

Unless expressly stated otherwise, the copyrights of all independently created works posted on this site by or with the permission of their authors or other copyright-holders, as the case may be, are retained by their respective authors or other copyright-holders, as the case may be. If you believe your copyright may have been infringed in some way on this site please contact us at copyright@gorchronicles.com.

For further information about copyright matters on this website please view our Terms of Service. For any other information contact us at info@gorchronicles.com.

This site uses cookies. For full details regarding our use of cookies please refer to our Privacy Notice.